Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon FAQ’s
What is an Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon?
An oral & maxillofacial surgeon is a dentist that has undergone an additional 4-6 years of medical and surgical training beyond dental school and receiving a dental degree. Based on this professional training, the oral & maxillofacial surgeon is best regarded as a combination between a physician and a dentist. As a result, oral & maxillofacial surgeons are uniquely qualified to render surgical care of the teeth, mouth, jaws and face.
What does maxillofacial mean?
The main bone in the middle of the face that houses the upper teeth, and forms part of the eye socket, is called the maxilla. Therefore, maxillofacial is a term that refers to the facial region beyond the mouth and lower jaw.
If I need oral surgery, why should I go to an oral & maxillofacial surgeon?
Oral and maxillofacial surgeons are formally trained, in medicine and surgery and therefore, provide the highest quality surgical care. Due to this extensive additional training, patients of all ages can expect the following:
- The length of the procedure is decreased
- Surgical complications are minimized
- A significant reduction of post-operative pain and swelling
- Immediate 24 hour post-surgery on-call response by the surgeon in case of emergency
- State certified in anesthesia care
- State of the art surgical equipment in safety-certified offices
- Optimal treatment result and patient satisfaction
What does it mean to be a Board Certified Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon?
A Board Certified Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon has successfully completed extensive examinations by the American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. The role of the American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery is to certify individuals who have demonstrated exemplary knowledge and skills in oral & maxillofacial surgery. The American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery also seeks to identify those who are committed to life-long learning and ethical practices and to the advancement of oral & maxillofacial surgery.
- Board Certified
- Hospital Affiliations
- State-of-the-Art Technology
- Four convenient locations
- 60 Years of Combined Experience